II V I in F
    AnTs

II V I in F

by AnTs » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:43 pm

As you can see in the first exercise of the Genius Jamtracks library there is a scalar motif played in different subdivisions over a II V I chord progression. I used this exercise, which is probably the best way to start my practice, to create a sequence of all the different polyrhythms that I found in there. First, I added the same four bars as a "call and response" for each polyrhythm and I was trying to repeat what the piano was playing. It helped me a lot to write down the melodies, it is much easier now that I realized the relation of each phrase with the 4/4 beat (I'll post the notation image below). I also tried to use just my ears and not follow the chord chart or use the metronome.
    That's the first part of my practice:
    251 in F (play what U hear 1)
    Part 2: In this track, although I play exactly the same thing as before, I chose different polyrhythms for drums and bass. So, for example, I have to play a dotted quarter note phrase while the app is playing a 3 over 4 comping.
    251 in F (play what U hear 2) rand
    Part 3: I randomized everything... Good luck!
    251 in F (play what U hear 3) all rand

P.S. These are the same tracks as parts 1, 2 and 3 but the piano plays only chords instead of playing the melody.
    251 in F (comp 1)
    251 in F (comp 2) random
    251 in F (comp 3) all random
    I start by playing the same thing as previously and when I feel comfortable I try to change the phrases a little bit...My goal is to keep track of the 4-bar progression, dive into each groove and create my own licks on the fly.