About me
    Lefteriskordis

About me

by Lefteriskordis » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:31 am

Hello, My name is Lefteris Kordis, I am pianist, composer, New York-based Inner Circle Music label recording artist and Associate professor at Berklee College of music and the Global Jazz Institute, teaching among some of the most internationally acclaimed musicians (John Patitucci, Danilo Perez, Joe Lovano, Teri Lynn Carrington). I have a doctorate in music from New England Conservatory and my dissertation was devoted to the music pedagogy of Lennie Tristano and the late Charlie Banacos who was a very influential teacher worldwide, educating thousands of musicians such as Michael brecker, Danilo Perez, Mike Stern and many others. I had the rare opportunity study with Charlie Banacos, Jazz saxophone legend and Mcarthur fellow Steve Lacy, National Endowment for the Arts master Bob Brookmeyer, multi-Grammy winner and mentor Daniel Perez, George Russell, Herb Pomeroy, Allan Chase, Ran Blake, Jerry Leake, and Eva stange who was a lifelong student of concert pianist Paul Badura Skoda. 

My teaching approach is Holistic and highly individualized. I emphasize on guiding students to experience and learn music first on an instinctual and physical level, and later on an intellectual level. I have developed a wide spectrum of strategies and methods that are tailored to each individual’s needs in order to unlock their best and guide them to reach freedom in musical expression. In my teaching studio, I use imagery, projection of paintings, movies, poetry, sports, story telling, and other disciplines and concepts as mediums to assist students to develop a natural and effortless sound, improvisation skills; improve technique; strengthen the musical ear; compose new music; and experience rhythm physically. I teach a variety of musical languages, especially jazz, western European classical, and folk music from around the world, especially the Mediterranean region.

Speaking from my 20-year experience as a pedagogue, I have come to the conclusion that when students operate from the world of imagery and games, the possibilities are endless and they are always engaged and inspired to make music while they develop an effortless and natural relationship with music, which has a tremendous positive impact in their lives.
    Associate professor at Berklee College of music and the Global Jazz Institute